Edinburgh Printmakers is a centre for printmaking and the visual arts in Fountainbridge.
It is set in Castle Mills, a beautiful heritage building that used to be a rubber factory and a brewery complex. Castle Mills houses two galleries, with a changing programme of contemporary visual art exhibitions.
It’s also home to one of the largest printmaking studios in Europe. It’s open to anyone who would like to join a course or become a member.
Edinburgh Printmakers provides space, expertise and support for artists to develop their practice, networks and professional experience, at different stages of their careers. Edinburgh Printmakers has a distinctive offer for printmakers and has developmental opportunities for both artists and the creative industries, supporting learning, production, presentation and exchange that will have a significant impact on their practice and profile.
“Inviting, light-filled spaces. More room to stretch out. Great cafe and exhibit spaces.”
The gallery shop sells original prints and design-led handmade products, by artists in residence and providing a key outlet for Scotland-based artists and printmakers.
Castle Mills has spaces for hire including a large board room seating up to 60 auditorium style, and a smaller room for meetings and events. It also has a learning studio for schools and groups up to 35 people, that can be hired by the community for learning activities and workshops.
“Beautiful large space with great facilities and gallery space”
Edinburgh Printmakers’s Creative Industries Hub has seven studios for creative use at Castle Mills, including art, architecture design and Craft Scotland.
Edinburgh Printmakers also provides low-cost spaces for creative use across Scotland, with EP Spaces, which you can view online.
Cafe Ink, the onsite cafe, is a beautiful and vibrant space that makes the perfect place to enjoy delicious seasonal dishes and home-baked goods, inside or in the courtyard.
Edinburgh Printmakers works in partnership with various organisations including UnLtd Scotland. Together, they run a programme of funding and support for creative social entrepreneurs to make a difference in the local community.
“Fantastic printmaking facilities and space to work”
- Printmaking studio (with equipment for etching, lithography, laser cutting, large format inkjet printing, relief printing and screenprinting including 4 Etching presses, 3 direct motorised presses, 1 x 80w HPC Laser cutter, 2 large format inkjet printers, Polymetal Hydraulic relief platten press, and 5 Vacuum bed presses).
- Printmaking classes
- Residency programme
- Two galleries
- Gallery shop
- Hire spaces (including a boardroom, meeting room and learning studio)
- Holy Cow Lounge- Vegan Café
- EP Spaces (low-cost studio spaces for creative use across Scotland)
- Courtyard and community garden
- Print Club for children and young people
- Flat for visiting artists