Stills opened in 1977 as the first dedicated photography gallery in Scotland. It remains the only space committed to photography in Edinburgh. Our founders believed that everyone should have access to photography because it informs the way we see ourselves and our world, it challenges, inspires and influences. It empowers and can affect social change. This founding ethos continues to underpin everything we do today. We believe in the power of photography and want everyone to be able to enjoy, experience and learn about it.
Great facility for both analogue and digital photography, very nice and free photo book library to browse and friendly staff!
Lukas Kao (via Facebook)
Some on the internationally renowned artists and photographers whose work has been introduced to Scottish audiences by Stills over the years include: Man Ray, Diane Arbus, Walker Evans, Robert Mapplethorpe, Martha Rosler, August Sander, Paul Strand, Hiroshi Sugimoto, Wolfgang Tillmans, Margaret Tait, Andres Serrano and Cindy Sherman.
I just love to sit in the library when I am in Edinburgh.
Mark Bigelow (via Facebook)
Gallery opening times
11am – 6pm Monday – Sunday
Production facilities opening times
11am – 6pm Friday – Monday
11am – 9pm Tuesday – Thursday
- Black & White Communal Darkroom with 6x LPL Colour Enlargers, and 1x LPL Large Format colour enlarger
- Individual darkrooms with LPL Large format colour enlargers
- UV Lightbox
- Black and white film processing including tanks, reels and drying cabinet
- Jobo CPE2 & CPE2 Plus Colour Film processor
- Thermopot 505 dry-to-dry colour print processor (20” width intake)
- Finishing Area with Dry Mount Press, Guillotines, cutting matts and scalpels
- 27″ iMac workstations running Adobe CC
- Hasselblad X1 Flextight film scanner
- A3 Epson Flatbed Scanner
- Epson Surecolor P7000 Inkjet printer, with 315gsm Inkjet Glossy Fine Art Photo Rag Baryta paper, and 308gsm Inkjet Matt Fine Art Photo Rag paper.
- Epson Stylus Pro 4800 Inkjet printer